Long days of work are making you dull and lifeless. Added to that are the constant heat and pollution. Unfortunately, you have absolutely no time to go to a peaceful place and rejuvenate. Then, what do you do to feel your energies, detoxify, and attain balance within the space you have? There is away, and it is called Kapalbhati Pranayama. Find out all about the process and what it does to you by scrolling down.
What Is Kapalbhati Pranayama?
Long long ago, a set of breathing techniques were devised to help people with their overall well-being. It is called yogic breath, and it is an important aspect of yoga. Kapalbhati Pranayama is one among them, and it has been keeping people healthy and pure since ages.
‘Kapal’ means forehead, ‘Bhati’ means shining, and ‘Pranayama’ means breathing technique. Kapalbhati Pranayama is a Sanskrit word that means forehead shining breathing technique. It is named so as the regular the practice of the method gives you a shining forehead and bright intellect.
The method needs minimal effort and comes with a plethora of benefits. It is a ‘shat’ kriya technique that flushes out toxic air from your body, cleansing it in the process. With cleansing come various mental and physical benefits. Kapalbhati requires you to sit in a yogic posture and breathe. It is more of a breathing exercise than assuming a pose with the help of your limbs. It is part of the Eight Limbs Of Yoga as compiled in Yoga Sutras by Sage Patanjali. Practicing Kapalbhati keeps you healthy in mind, body, and spirit.
1. Sit The Right Way
2. Inhale Well
Inhale deeply with one hand towards the nostril and one hand directly filling both your lungs with air. Breathing should be a slow and steady intake of air, focusing on airflow and breathing calmly.
3. Exhale Rapidly
While doing KapalBhati pranayama, pull your stomach towards your back and move your navel as close to the spine as possible. Which will fill the air in your lungs and put your right hand on the navel to feel the contraction of your abdominal muscles? As you relax from the contraction, you exhale in a small blast and then exhale automatically. While exhaling, there will be a hissing sound. At that point, feel that all the bad is coming out in your body. As you leave your stomach, you can feel the air filling your lungs.
4. Relax Deeply
Inhale and exhale in this manner for about 20 times. That will be one round of Kapalbhati. Rest after you complete one round by sitting silently in Sukhasana with your eyes closed and observe the sensations erupting in your body.
Benefits of Kapalbhati Pranayama
- Kapalbhati generates heat in your body, dissolving toxins and other waste matter
- It improves the functioning of the kidneys and liver
- It removes stress from the eyes and erases dark circles
- It enhances blood circulation and digestion
- The method increases your metabolic rate, thus aiding rapid weight loss
- It stimulates your abdominal organs and is thus helpful for diabetic patients
- It rejuvenates your brain and energizes your nerves
- The process calms you and uplifts your mind
- It gives you a sense of balance and sensibility, making you feel pure and clutter-free
- It eliminates acidity and gas-related problems
- Kapalbhati strengthens your lungs and increases their capacity
- Regular practice of Kapalbhati will activate you and make your face glow radiantly
- It improves memory and concentration power
- The practice clears and activates the chakras in your body
- It helps in curing asthma, sinus, and hair loss
- It keeps depression at bay and fills you with positivity